3 Celebratory Plant Based Recipes for Cinco De Mayo
Cinco de Mayo is a holiday that celebrates the Mexican army’s May 5, 1862 victory over France at the Battle of Puebla during the Franco-Mexican War.
This single day celebration is a wonderful opportunity to unite friends and family over a delicious meal. We at Peter Rubi have had the honor to help families celebrate this holiday for over 12 years.
Cinco de Mayo requires weeks of preparation for our Peter Rubi team. Our produce buyer, Ryan, starts the week off by finding the freshest avocados, the most fragrant onions, and the most plump tomatoes fresh from their vine.
From there we hand over the best ingredients imaginable to our prep team. Our prep team is responsible for the plant based perfection of our famous taco dip. This taco dip has layers of creamy beans, fiery queso, sweet guacamole, and just the right amount of spice. Each layer of our taco dip is made in house and topped with deliciously rich plant based cheese. Our prep team is our dream team when it comes to our in house catering for holidays like Cinco de Mayo.
This Cinco de Mayo has been a bit different for us this year. Ryan, a beloved leader and our produce super hero suffered a devastating loss at the end of April. Ryan lost his home to a tragic fire. We, as a family, ask for your help in getting him back on his feet. We have arranged donations for Ryan to be placed here.
We are beyond thankful to have Ryan still with us today. We know we will be saying our prayers of thanks before we enjoy our Cinco de Mayo celebration this year.
We ask that you prepare these recipes we have provided with Ryan in your thoughts and prayers. Take the time to enjoy cooking and eating with your family this year! Life is short, and tomorrow is never promised. We believe in living in the moment, savoring each bite, and being thankful for the ability to still share a meal with those we love and cherish.
Easy & Healthy Chilaquiles
- 12 Tortilla chips or Artisan Tropic Plantain Chips
- 1/2 cup of Peter Rubi's Queso
- 1/4 cup of Peter Rubi's Salsa Verde
- 1 avocado
- 1 tsp taco seasoning
- 2 fried eggs
- 1 tsp avocado oil
1. Bake your tortilla chips lightly (roughly 6 minutes.) You may drizzle your oil of choice for more of a "fried" texture. Be sure to sprinkle your tortilla chips with your taco seasoning of choice.
2. Fry your 2 eggs in avocado oil until they appear to be cooked to a medium temperature. Your egg yolk should just be slightly runny.
3. Place your eggs on top of your tortilla chips.
4. Drizzle your queso and salsa verde evenly.
5. Place your chopped avocado on top.
Simple & Low Sodium Black Bean Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 2 canned black beans, (2 undrained and 2 drained and rinsed)
ounces of vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup of Peter Rubi's Salsa Verde
- 2 teaspoons of cumin
-1 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lime juice